Saturday, April 11, 2009

Easter: How We Do It

I have always remembered celebrating Easter, despite the fact that I'm Jewish. And for several years I was pretty famous amongst my friends for my adults only, alcohol-fueled easter egg dying parties. But then when Boylee was born in April, I got a little overwhelmed having his birthday, Easter and Passover always falling within a few days or weeks of each other.

A few years ago, I decided to get serious about Easter again, so off the top of my head I decided on a new Easter mythology to share with Boylee. Here it is: First of all, the Easter bunny is a she. And her entire purpose is to bring Spring to gardens worldwide. But she won't do it unless you tempt her properly.

So the first thing we have to do is dye a bunch of eggs. Then, a day or two before Easter, we have to hide or otherwise distribute the eggs throughout our garden. This will tempt the Easter bunny to visit us. And if she likes our eggs, she will bring us spring, and also bring us little presents of various kinds. She may also take the eggs we have given her...but usually she doesn't take them all. (That's because I'm usually distributing the Easter treats in the dark after Boylee has gone to bed, and I can't find them all. Oh well.)

So first we dyed a lot of eggs. We started with two dozen and considered ourselves done, but then Nana gave us another package of dyes, so that required another two dozen eggs.



Then we decided which eggs would be placed in the garden. We save a bunch for ourselves, but that's okay -- with four dozen to choose from the Easter bunny will be satisfied with her share. Here are the ones we are giving her this year:



Then Boylee places the eggs throughout the garden.



And now we just have to wait to see if she falls for our bait!



And just in case you are in a cold part of the country, please reflect on how fabulous springtime is in L.A. We already have our first strawberry!



Stay tuned for our updates on how Easter goes!

1 comment:

Laura said...

I'm reflecting! It's snowing here today! (Fairbanks)