Friday, January 16, 2009

Catching Up

This week was nuts -- I seemed to use every available minute to catch up on boring stuff that I couldn't do during the three weeks Boylee was on winter break. I got my glasses fixed, I sewed new curtains for the den, I went to the market, etc. Nothing thrilling.

For Boylee, the most thrilling part of the week was today, because he had a substitute teacher. But more than that -- the sub was running late or something, so they had a sub for the sub. The first guy was only there for an hour or two, and then the second guy showed up. The big hit of The Day of Two Substitutes? The first, temporary sub had a guitar. They all sang three songs together. One was about the days of the week, one was about numbers, and the other wasn't remembered.

The second most thrilling part of the day came just as school ended. Every afternoon the PTA sells snacks to the students. The PTA raises money, and the students, most of whom will still be at school for several hours in the after-school childcare program, get a boost of sugar. Isaac loves the snacks -- yes, they're mostly candy and ice cream -- but I limit him to one snack a week. That's invariably Monday. Over the weeks, I noticed that the mom who works the booth on Monday is always alone, whereas the rest of the week it's two moms doing the selling. And one thing led to another and I volunteered to be her helper every week. So it works out perfectly -- Boylee gets a snack, and he sits and eats it while I do my volunteering. Anyway, that same PTA mom (Okay, I call her Queen of the Latinas, because she seems to be the lead of the Latina posse at our school) ended up having to cover for someone today, and she asked me to help...and that meant Boylee needed something to occupy him while I volunteered. And that something was a 2nd snack of the week -- very exciting for him.

No comments: