Wednesday, May 6, 2009

What Should I Do?

Allegedly, all LAUSD teachers are going to stage a walkout next Friday the 15th. So I'm not sure what to do about Boylee on that day. On the one hand, I would like him to see his teacher picketing, if they're going to do that at school. They may be doing a big rally downtown instead.

On the other hand, I just don't need him to get wrapped up in the chaos that is LAUSD at this moment. He's only 6, and my philosophy is that he's got plenty of time in the future to learn about the harsh realities of life, and budget cuts. Mostly he's been protected from hearing about what's going on, but lately he has been hearing bits and pieces. I am a member of the school's site council, and our monthly meetings are at 7:30am. Usually I have Boylee eat breakfast at the cafeteria that day, since that's a fabulous treat for him, then he meets me when the bell rings and I walk him to class. But last month he just couldn't bear to be separated from me, so we packed him a breakfast and he came to the meeting with me. I thought it would be so dull he wouldn't pay attention, but at the end he turned to me and asked, "What does that mean, when the principal says we're going to lose two teachers?"

And let me just add that Boylee has perfect attendance so far this year! I'd hate to blow that just by skipping a day of school.

But I wonder what they're going to do with all the kids? There's no way there are going to be enough subs to cover every class at every school. And as previously mentioned, we hardly have any non-teacher adults at school -- the principal, the librarian, a couple of office ladies, and the assistant principal who is already half-time so who knows if she'll even be there?

What should I do?

1 comment:

Nana said...

Would they let you cover the classroom ... and would you be comfortable doing that?

I suspect the rally will be chaotic and crazy and not a particularly good learning experience. [Site meetings, OTOH, are obviously a good thing for the Boy.]

Otherwise, come and visit me! Discovery Museum or whatever.