Friday, May 22, 2009

Would You Be Offended?

One of the problems in our neighborhood is the way people drive, which can basically be defined as "maniacal." It's especially true right at our house, which is where four streets intersect. There are, accordingly, four stop signs, and the majority of drivers blow through them on their way in and out.

The most difficult aspect of this for us is backing out of our driveway. If people stopped, we'd be safe. Since people don't, we are constantly taking our lives into our hands getting out of the garage. At least once a week someone blows by just as I'm backing out, and you wouldn't believe the number of those drivers who honk, give me the finger, or actually yell out their car windows as if we're at fault.

A couple of days ago a particularly egregious driver literally almost took the back of my car off as I was backing out to take Boylee to school. I was almost shaking as I called Scott to tell him. He blew his top, and one thing led to another -- it turns out one of his colleagues is a talented graphic artist/painter, and the guy made a cool sign that looks almost exactly like a city sign. It says:

SLOW DOWN FUCKER

I think it's hilarious, but I told Scott he can't put it up. Someone will murder us, and our neighbors would be offended. I'd be offended -- especially because Boylee is in the early reading stages where reading almost any sign is exciting and thrilling to him. I don't want to have to explain to him what the sign says.

So Scott's friend made a little addition to the sign.



What do you think? Still too offensive?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Not offensive to me... I've seen people blow past those stop signs when I was there last time. Actually, I think you should have someone make about four medium-sized crosses on a post, add fake flowers to them and set them around the stop signs. Written on them... "Your Name Here... F**ker!" in red. But I'll cast my vote for spike strips.

Anonymous said...

Oh... I forgot... paint the crosses white!

julie g. said...

Uncle Kev, Scooter loves your idea.

Laura said...

I love! I love Kev's cross idea, too.

Anonymous said...

for those who obey the law ever so slightly too offensive.
also for those who are holier-the-thou. given to outrage at a moment's notice. i'm going to ask noni what she thinks. stand by.

Anonymous said...

Okay, this is serious and although I like the crosses and the flowers too, and also appreciate Sid's "please" over the sign, I am actually worried about the consequences if something isn't done to stop this. How about using our media skills to set up a camera to capture the offenders and send this to the mayor, the newspapers, TV news stations, etc. It might be a good human interest story that shows how some very selfish, careless people can endanger the lives of others. NHG

Nana said...

Chiming in late...I think Scott & friends could make speed bumps. Is it asphalt, or concrete that the city uses? Set 'em up one day, paint 'em (as the city does) the next.
Meanwhile, I love the new, improved sign.