Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Today's Drama

So today Boylee came home from school with a sad, sad story: Alex, a kid in the other 1st grade class, put a "kick me" post-it on Boylee's back. When Boylee found out about it, Alex said, "Oh, it's just a joke." Poor Boylee really, really had his feelings hurt. And it sounded like the whole scene wasn't really noticed by the staff.

I didn't know who this Alex was, but I found his info in the school directory and sent an email to his mom. I wasn't mean -- and I do realize that there are two sides to every story -- but I just told her that Boylee felt really bad about it, had cried telling me about it, and that I thought Alex should apologize properly.

And then we heard a knock at the door at 7:30pm, and there was Alex and his mom! Alex had written an apology, and also told Boylee that he was sorry. Boylee said, "I accept your apology," and then Alex's mom talked to both boys about how much better you feel after you make amends for something you've done wrong. The boys didn't quite hug, but it turns out they live really close to us so we might do a park playdate. I was pretty impressed with Alex's mom -- she seemed like a very involved, caring parent.

The funniest part of the whole thing? It was 7:30, so none of us were dressed. The boys had on just their undies and I was wearing a sarong. (It's a warm night over here!) So the first part of the event was a mad scramble to get some real clothes on.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It's a lost art--being gracious and appropriate with each other.
Congrats to the four of you for being skilled in the art...
bro. bo