Tuesday, July 6, 2010

First Day of Camp

We walked down to the town tennis courts for the first day of camp...and found a crowd of happy, super-casual peeps. There seem to be about 50 kids altogether, so it's pretty small. We introduced ourselves, and found Boylee's counselors, Ellie and Ozzie. He joined the group already assembled -- which was about four girls. And then we waited. And then a few more girls arrived. And then we waited -- and I could actually feel Boylee's tension. And then a couple more girls showed up -- until it was EIGHT girls and Boylee, and I was really starting to sweat!

FINALLY another boy showed up, and then and then another, and then it seemed to be ages and ages later when the one boy Boylee knows, Mark, came. Finally Boylee relaxed! Things shifted during the day, so it turns out Boylee and Mark are the only two boys in the group, but I think that's enough. (I mean, he'd be happy with a few more, I'm sure, but one will do.)

Today was an all-camp getting-to-know-you-day, which meant games on the tennis court, then a one-minute walk to the beach where they did an obstacle course, played games, did face-painting (Boylee did not participate) and generally had fun. The day started drizzly and quite cold, which did not seem promising. I even had to hike back up to the house to get Boylee a pair of long pants to change into. And then when I delivered the pants back at the camp group, Boylee did not want to give me a kiss. He did snuggle against my shoulder, but I guess kissing mama at camp is not cool.

A few hours later I was taking a long walk around the town when my feet just happened to lead me down the beach where the camp was assembled. I looked, and looked and didn't see Boylee -- then finally found him, buried up to his waist in the sand. He was back at the far end of the beach, against the cliffs. I was at the water's edge. I wondered if I should say hi, and then he saw me and waved. I did get close enough to ask if he was having fun and he said yes -- and then turned away from me to horse around with Mark and another boy. Point taken -- MAMA NOT NEEDED AT CAMP!

Okay, okay, I learned my lesson.

Tomorrow I drop him off at the local school where they will be doing, among other things, storytelling and foot massages. I don't know whose feet will be massaged by whom. I will report.

2 comments:

Babi said...

If there are foot massages involved, can I come too?

julie g. said...

I know! I wonder if parents can participate?!?