Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Idiot Moms

They're everywhere.  Even at our new school. 

Today I got into a little fender bender in the parking lot. More specifically, my car was hit by a woman driving a GIANT white SUV -- it had a George W. bumper sticker on it so I should have known then and there what kind of person she is.  Basically, while I was getting Boylee out of the car, she backed into the front of my car. I watched it slowly happen, and tried yelling to get her attention, but she didn't hear me.  Luckily she was 
only going 2 miles an hour so there was no damage.  Boylee was a little surprised about the whole thing, and I had to take a moment to show that my car has a bumper, the other car has a bumper, and they're designed to bump together if necessary.


If that was the end of the story, then it would just be a normal experience and nothing worth talking about. But here's what happened afterwards:  The woman didn't get out of her car, and in fact kept her car in reverse as if she expected me to move my parked car so that she could navigate out of her parking spot.  (Maybe this is all a little difficult to picture, but just understand that our tiny school is located in an old Hollywood Hills neighborhood, and thus there is no street parking, and parents have to park on the schoolyard in order to drop off their kids. Even at a small school like ours, this leads to a lot of cars in a small space. The school has devised a parking & drop off system, and the system works. All you have to do is follow directions, watch out for orange cones, and act NORMAL.)

So the lady didn't get out of her car to check the damage or see if we were okay.  She's just kept sitting there in reverse as if I'm going to move, which I'm not going to do, seeing as I am parked according to the school's rules.  And I'm dropping off my kid. And I'm walking him to the classroom. So not only am I not going to move my car now, I'm not going to be moving it for about ten minutes.

The woman finally gets out of her car and says, in a I'm-dumb-so-I'll-just-smile-and-that-makes-everything-okay way, "I didn't realize that you were parked behind me."  I just smiled back and showed her that she could easily exit her parking spot by pulling forward into the big, empty area right in front of where she had parked, instead of backing into my car.  She acted like this was a revelation.

It took me about five minutes to realize the true idiocy of this situation. She backed her car into mine because she didn't realize anyone was parked behind her.  Which means she didn't look in her rear-view mirror at all -- in a crowded parking area full of kids.  

Idiot moms are everywhere.

No comments: